Thursday, February 12, 2009

Cotton Candy to the Rescue

As someone with a lifelong sweet tooth, I loved the pink, fluffy sweet stuff of cotton candy as a girl, as did my daughters. Although all three of us much prefer chocolate for our sweet these days, we were delighted to see that cotton candy is being used in medical research to create new methods of breast reconstruction.

According to the Associated Press, doctors at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center have been relying on cotton candy to create “a network of blood vessels within laboratory-grown bone, skin, muscle or fat for breast reconstruction.”

Talk about great news. Like most women my age, I have quite a few friends who are fighting breast cancer. I’m always excited to hear about new weapons for their arsenal, and it adds a little fun to know that my favorite pink sweet is part of the fight, too. The next time you buy the stuff (or have to scrub it off a sticky child), don’t forget it’s a new partner in the quest for breast health.

No comments: